Friday, July 24, 2009

The Spring Roll Glutton..

Well, today was somewhat eventful.. Or maybe not, I can't remember that far back. Gee, that'd suck if it were true. But anyway, I'm sorry I missed two days.. but Wednesday I happened to be busy and yesterday I happened to be sick. Lame right? Exactly my thoughts.
Moving along, yesterday I purchased spring roll wrappers and lots of veggies! Upon my return home [and after visiting Rip van Winkle], I made spring rolls from scratch! Not the frozen ones you buy and put in frying pan or microwave? I'm not sure. But mine were okay.. HOWEVER, I tried them again today and they were AMAZING. I felt like a little glutton. But when you're the only vegetarian in a house of carnivores, finding foods that everyone enjoys is a truly rare thing.
I decided to spread the wealth and share the recipe I devised. So, here it is.

What You'll Need:
4-6 Spring Roll Wrappers [Available at any Chinese/Japanese/etc. specialty foods store; 25 are less than $1.50]
Lettuce/Cabbage [Preferably Lettuce]
Radish [One is more than enough]
Red Onion [Just a few layers]
Ginger
Basil Leaves
Carrot
Oil [Veggie/Canola]
Salt [Optional]
Soy Sauce [Optional]
Knife
Potato Peeler [Optional]
Frying Pan/Wok
Spoon/Chopsticks/Spatula/Something that isn't your fingers to turn the rolls while they are cooking
CLEAN SURFACES
Plate/Bowl/Dish [Include a dish for Soy Sauce If Applicable]

What To Do:
Note: When cutting the lettuce, basil leaves, red onions, carrots, etc (unless you're using baby carrots), ensure that they measure between 1/2 - 5/8 of the spring roll wrapper; some veggies WILL be SMALLER. Is it okay? Yes.
1. To prepare the veggies, please rinse them all and ensure that they are dry before using.
2. Begin to defrost your spring roll wrappers if necessary.
3. Chop the lettuce and basil leaves into vertical strips.
4. Cut the radishes as if you were making potato chips, and then cut the chips vertically into radish fries. xD
5. The same process may be used for the ginger, depending on the shape of the ginger. Be sure to get vertical strips somehow. Ninja skills perhaps?
6. Cut a wedge of onion, separate the layers, and cut vertically. [Note: I've yet to actually use only one layer, but cutting the one layer vertically could also be an alternative.]
7. Using the potato peeler, cut some strips of carrots. If you're using a regular knife, be sure that the strips are nice and thin. Like society wants us all to be.. How ironic right?
8. Separate the spring roll wrappers. [Note: Although they appear and are delicate, they won't tear when separating.. Unless you're super strong.. In which case, you may need some assistance.]
9. While doing this step, you may place the oil in the frying pan on low heat. Next, place a spring roll wrapper on a clean and dry surface. Begin centering and placing the veggies horizontally and closely about 1/2 inch from the bottom of the wrapper. Once the veggies are in place, you may sprinkle a pinch of salt and begin wrapping the spring roll from the bottom up. Be sure to do so tightly, but not too tightly that the wrapper will tear and pop!! About halfway through wrapping, fold the ends inward and continue wrapping until completion. Using your index and middle fingers, press the ends down so that they won't unravel in the pan. Repeat for the next rolls. [Note: I realized a good combination of making spring rolls: wrapper, two-three pieces of lettuce, carrot, two small pieces of ginger and basil leaves (one at either ends), two pieces of onion, four-five pieces of radishes, then two more carrot sticks and lettuce blades]
10. Once the oil is hot, place the spring rolls in the pan without burning yourself. Two-three at a time is fine, depending on the size of your frying pan. They'll be golden brown in less than two minutes, so using your "something that isn't your fingers to turn the rolls while they are cooking" utensil, turn the rolls over. Once the flipped side has gotten its tan, use your utensil to remove them from the pan and onto your plate. Repeat for the next however many rolls you choose to make.
11. Cut the rolls in half and serve with soy sauce. [Note: I haven't tried it in soy sauce, but I figured people tend to like it like that, so.. Also, for added presentation, serve in a square plate with a basil leaf at the side. Looks awesome and tastes even better.]
12. Indulge. In other words, devour. EAT AND ENJOY!

I hope you all enjoyed my rant and recipe and the following is my challenge to you. Make the spring rolls and let me know if they were terrible and made you never want to eat veggies again or so awesome that you've already run out of spring roll wrappers. OR tell me a veggie recipe I should try or something.
P.S. If anyone does decide to try the recipe, please don't hold me accountable for any mishaps. Haha. Enjoy!
Gumball.

0 comments: